The Washington Redskins signed all twelve of their 2011 draft picks to the 53-man roster at some time, last season. This year they drafted just nine players–for the luxury of Robert Griffin III–and all nine won't be so fortunate to make the team. Head coach, Mike Shanahan has finally added enough talent and depth to the team, where we shouldn't need to be rescued by two seventh rounders, mid-season. So how many rookies will make the team?
Of the nine rookies drafted, expect five to seven to make it; five from the get-go, seven over the long haul.
- Robert Griffin III – Obviously, he makes the team. And he should be the only rookie starting the season as well. RGIII already has the city's heart, and there's no question he's the most exciting thing to happen in the last two decades.
- Josh LiRibeus – The Redskins should start the same line-up as the beginning of last season. That mean's LeRibeus makes the team as a reserve guard/center; the spot once held by Eric Cook (no longer, thank goodness).
- Kirk Cousins – As the third quarterback–which Mike only keeps when he really likes–Kirk will be learning this season, not playing. However, he will be on the roster and learning behind RGIII and Rex Grossman (hopefully not from Rex).
- Keenan Robinson (pictured above)- Keenan has been described as an explosive player, and one who can lead. Looking into the Redskins future, they're going to need to replace London Fletcher, who also provides both of those traits. Robinson's going to have big shoes to fill when his number is finally called. In the meantime, he will take a back seat and soak up as much as possible. Hopefully he receives a few snaps this season.
- Tom Compton – The Redskins are thin at tackle and Tom Compton should make the team as a project player. He's got the tools to fit; we'll just have to see how quick he picks it up. Still, don't count on seeing him much this year, either.
- Richard Crawford- Here's someone who could make the roster this season, but there's a lot in his way. The Redskins will probably keep six cornerbacks, so Crawford would have to beat out Kevin Barnes, Brandyn Thompson, and possibly Byron Westbrook (if he returns). There's still a strong possibility that Richard Crawford gets called up at some point in the season; much like Brandyn Thompson the year before.
- Alfred Morris – He's a bit of a long shot without an injury occurring in the Redskins' current backfield. Yet, were still not sure how healthy Tim Hightower is going to be and running back is a tough position to stay healthy at–it seems like every year we lose one or two backs for extended time. If that's the case again this year, Alfred Morris should be the first call.
That leaves Adam Gettis and Jordan Bernstine to the practices squad or to venture elsewhere. I could see the Skins promoting Gettis a year from now, if he shows steady improvement and leadership.
All together, a class of reserves, future starters and a franchise quarterback!
Let us know what you think…
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/h93