The Toronto Raptors and Atlanta Hawks got together Wednesday night in an important Eastern Conference game. You would think that due to possible playoff implications, both teams would come out firing, but that wasn't the case. Both teams struggled at the start with the Hawks taking the early lead. The Raptors started the game just 2-15 from the field and didn't look energized on either side of the court. The Raptors shot 29.2% in the first quarter.
That lack of energy would continue midway through the second quarter, but they started to get their legs back before the end of the first half. To start the third it was all Raptors as they went on a 7-0 run. From then on they didn't look back and laid a second half beat down on the Hawks.
DeMar DeRozan led the way with 31 points on 11-19 shooting. DeRozan started off slow, but found his groove in the second half. He had that look on his face like he was unstoppable and for most of the second half he was.
Kyle Lowry added 16 points, 13 rebounds, six rebounds and two steals as he continues to lead the Raptors on both ends of the court. Patrick Patterson got his second straight start for the Raptors and scored 14 points to go along with six rebounds.
With the win, the Raptors move to 28-24 and have won two in a row. They improve to 21-2 overall and 11-0 at home when leading after three quarters.
The Hawks fall to 25-26 and have now lost five in a row.
Points By Quarter
Here are some more notes from the game:
- Raptors big man Jonas Valanciunas was just 1-9 from the field for two points, but he did pull down 14 rebounds including five on the offensive end.
- Most of the Hawks' production came from their front court as Gustavo Ayon and Paul Millsap combined for 35 points and 16 rebounds.
- The Hawks were just 4-20 from three point range. Hawks guard Kyle Korver was 2-4 from downtown, extending his consecutive streak to 120 games.
- Although they only shot 40.4%, the Raptors had 22 assists and only eight turnovers. They also held the Hawks to 38.5% shooting.
- Hawks guard Jeff Teague scored 13 points on 4-13 shooting.
NEXT GAME: Tuesday, February 18 @ Washington Wizards. 7 pm. ET
Follow us on Twitter: @TorRaptors101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Raptors101
- Toronto Raptors (1-0) at Atlanta Hawks (0-1)
- Atlanta Hawks (25-25) at Toronto Raptors (27-24)
- Toronto Raptors Fall to the Atlanta Hawks 102-95
- Toronto Raptors Blow 27 Point Lead, Lose 112-103 to Golden State Warriors
- Toronto Raptors Blow Early Lead, Lose 104-95 to Miami Heat
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/187p