When the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos meet in Super Bowl XLVIII, it will be a classic match-up of an outstanding defense versus a terrific offense. The Seahawks are the number one rated defense and the Broncos have the best offense in the league. Seattle will rely on their secondary to give Peyton Manning and company problems.
The Seahawks built their defense from the back end forward, which is against the usual build from the defensive line back approach. It has rewarded them greatly being first in the NFL against the pass, allowing only 172 yards per game. The Denver offense averages a league best 340.3 passing yards per game.
Seattle boasts a shut down cornerback in Richard Sherman, along with the best safety tandem in the league. Both Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor have all the tools teams look for in safeties. They are the second and third leading tackles on the team. Each have the ability to generate turnovers with interceptions and forced fumbles. The play of the secondary contributed to a league best 28 interceptions and 39 takeaways.
The secondary is helped tremendously by a strong pass rush up front. They Seahawks totaled 44 sacks this season, which is top 10 in the NFL. They will need all units to perform against Manning in the Super Bowl. The team was built around the defense, in particular a very good secondary. That will put them in great position to stymie an explosive offense.
- Seattle Seahawks are Favored to Win Super Bowl XLVIII with 9/5 Odds
- NFL Fines Seattle Seahwaks CB Richard Sherman for Taunting/Unsportsmanlike Conduct
- Seattle Seahawks Get by Carolina Panthers 12 – 7 in NFL Season Opener
- Antonio Pierce: Richard Sherman News Taking Pressure Off of Russel Wilson
- Arizona Cardinals’ Bruce Arians on Last Year’s 58-0 Loss to Seattle Seahawks: “Who Gives a S–t”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/175u