The San Francisco 49ers will close out Candlestick Park this Monday night in the stadium's last sporting event before the team moves to its new home in Santa Clara next season.
The Stick has seen some incredible and iconic moments throughout its history and the San Francisco Giants got the party started back in 1960. From 1960-1999, the Giants called Candlestick Park home and hosted two World Series in 1962 and 1989.
The stick also hosted two All-Star games in 1961 and 1984. It was during the 1961 game when the reputation of the stick was cemented when the winds came and a strong gust appeared. From that point on, Candlestick park was one of the coldest and windiest stadiums of all-time.
The field at the park was converted from grass to Astroturf in 1972 and then converted back to natural grass for the 1979 season. The Giants made history during their stick years when they became the first National League team to hire a black manager in Frank Robinson in 1981.
The stick will always be remembered for the Loma Prieta earthquake on October 17, 1989 prior to Game 3 of the World Series versus the Oakland A's. The 6.9 quake delayed the "Bay Bridge Series" for 10 days before the A's swept the Giants in four games.
Here are some other Giants moments at Candlestick:
- Willie Mays blasted his 512th home run on May 4, 1966 to break Mel Ott's National League record
- Houston Astros Eddie Mathews hit his 500th home run on July 14, 1967
- Barry Bonds smacked his 300th and 301th home runs on April 27, 1996 to become the fourth player in major league history with at least 300 homers and 300 stolen bases
- Bonds drilled his 400th home run on April 23, 1998 to become the only player in baseball history with at least 400 homers and 400 stolen base
The stick has significance to one of the greatest music groups of all-time as the Beatles' held their last concert there on August 29, 1966.
While many people complained about the amenities and wind of the stadium, Candlestick Park is where the magic began and started the great history of sports in San Francisco.
- The Proposal at AT&T Park Monday Night
- You Always Remember Your First Time
- San Francisco Giants 2013 Season in Review
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15qq