The Pittsburgh Steelers came to terms with their first round pick, linebacker Ryan Shazier, on a four-year contract agreement (with a fifth year option). The athletic linebacker with incredible speed will receive a fully guaranteed salary in the $9 million range with a $5 million signing bonus.NFL.
At 6-1, 237-pounds, Shazier put on a show at his Pro Day, recording a blazing 4.38 40-yard dash and a solid 42-inch vertical. More importantly, these demonstrations of raw athleticism are backed up by production on the field, where he shows tremendous closing speed, quickness off the edge as a blitzer, fluidity, and a relentless motor with high football acumen. While Shazier is a versatile linebacker, he does lack bulk and may struggle to consistently set the edge against the run in the NFL. Teams will also have to question his overaggressive streak that led to blown assignments and penalties at the college level, as well as the history of nagging injuries that kept him off the field at times throughout his career.
By signing Shazier, the Steelers now have six of their nine draft choices under contract for the 2014 season.
- Pittsburgh Steelers Select Ohio State Outside Linebacker Ryan Shazier at Number 15 in the NFL Draft
- Pittsburgh Steelers Pre-Draft Visitor Ohio State Outside Linebacker Ryan Shazier
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Running Back LeGarrette Blount to a Two-Year Contract
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Two Draft Picks to Four-Year Contracts
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Wide Receiver Danny Coale to a Reserve/Futures Contract
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bra