The Pittsburgh Steelers will have some interesting battles at multiple positions during training camp and their preseason tilts. One of the best places to watch may be the defensive line, where there are some young prospects that will be trying to make an impression.Stanford defensive end Josh Mauro. Early in the pre-draft process, the 6-6, 271-pound defender was viewed as a mid-round prospect, with just enough athleticism to potentially play in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. Unfortunately, his pre-draft workouts were uneven.
At the NFL Combine, Mauro recorded a 5.15 40-yard dash and 21 reps at 225. However, at his pro day, those numbers reversed with a 5.21 40-yard dash and 29 reps at 225. Technically sound, he does show some quickness off the ball, and has shown the ability to anchor against the run.
Mauro is experienced and has shown improvement throughout his college career. He finished 2013 with his best season, recording 51 tackles, 4.0 sacks, an interception, and two forced fumbles; numbers that landed him a spot in the East-West Shrine Game to finish the season.
Youngstown State offensive guard Chris Elkins (Profile 5/16)
Louisville defensive end Roy Philon
Shepherd outside linebacker Howard Jones
Missouri tight end Eric Waters
Cincinnati quarterback Brendon Kay
- Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile: Stanford Cornerback / Safety Devon Carrington
- Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile: Wisconsin Defensive End Ethan Hemer
- Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile: Youngstown State Offensive Guard Chris Elkins
- Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile: UAB Offensive Tackle Kaycee Ike
- Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile: East Carolina Offensive Tackle Will Simmons
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b77