The Pittsburgh Steelers finished their draft on Saturday by selecting only one prospect in the secondary: Arizona cornerback Shaquille Richardson. That matched that number in their undrafted rookie free agent (UDFA) haul by signing Stanford cornerback / safety Devon Carrington.Pittsburgh and may never develop into that in the Steel City, but he will long be remembered for one play in Stanford lore; running down Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota during a 2012 upset.
A non-combine invite, Carrington has experience as both a free safety and cornerback at Stanford. At 6-0, 195-pounds, he appears to lack the speed and athleticism to stay on the outside in the NFL. While experienced, he was not a full-time starter in college, and his draft stock took a huge hit when he recorded a slow 4.68 40-yard dash during his pro day.
At this point, Carrington would appear to be facing an uphill battle in his attempt to make the roster. With the Steelers having rookie camp this weekend, he must start making an impression as soon as possible.
Youngstown State offensive guard Chris Elkins
UAB offensive tackle Kaycee Ike
East Carolina offensive guard Will Simmons
Wisconsin defensive end Ethan Hemer
Stanford defensive end Josh Mauro
Louisville defensive end Roy Philon
Shepherd outside linebacker Howard Jones
Missouri tight end Eric Waters
Cincinnati quarterback Brendon Kay
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign 10 Undrafted Rookie Free Agents
- Pittsburgh Steelers Host Free Agent Safety Louis Delmas
- Pittsburgh Steelers Pre-Draft Visitor Georgia Tech Cornerback/Safety Jemea Thomas
- Pittsburgh Steelers Pre-Draft Visitor Louisville Free Safety Calvin Pryor
- Pittsburgh Steelers Lose One Free Agent; Schedule Visits with Two Defensive Linemen
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b0l