One of the items released by the NFL Monday at the owners meetings was the complete list of compensation selections for the 2014 NFL Draft. This year, the league awarded 32 selections to 13 franchises, who took significant hits during free agency in the previous season.As many fans in Pittsburgh expected, the team was one of the 13 franchises that were awarded at least one. extra compensation selection. In fact, the Pittsburgh Steelers received three compensation picks in this draft; boosting their overall total to nine selections in the 2014 draft.
For a team that is in the middle of overhauling their roster, these selections will be critical additions.These newly acquired selections are in the third round (Number 97), fifth round (Number 173), and the sixth round (Number 215).
Of those, the third round selection may be the most important. Heading into this draft, the Steelers faced a huge hole in the middle of the selection process after trading their 2014 third round selection to the Cleveland Browns during the 2013 draft in the deal to draft safety Shamarko Thomas. In a draft deep in talent, the loss of a Mid-round pick could have proved extremely costly for a talent starved franchise.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Compensation Selection, Football, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- 2014 NFL Draft One of the Deepest in Decades
- Record 102 Underclassmen Set to Enter 2014 NFL Draft
- Pittsburgh Steelers Face Many Questions on Defense Heading into 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/19ip