With all of the news coming out of the NFL Combine, it is easy to overlook the fact that the free agency period starts in a mere two weeks. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, there is a lot of work to do and decisions to be made, with none more pressing than their outside linebacker situation.Jason Worilds and often injured and high priced bust LaMarr Woodley. What the team decides to do to rectify this is anyone's guess, but many can speculate.
Early in February, general manager Kevin Colbert opened some eyes when he formulated that the team could keep them both. Many laughed, as the Steelers salary cap situation would seem to prevent that. Although, with the recent revelations in the potential rise of the cap, that scenario does not seem impossible.
Unless a fan is talking to insider Jason La Canfora from CBS Sport's, who told 93.7 The Fan that he expects the Steelers to lose Worilds once the signing period open. His premise, the team will not be able to afford him, as the market will likely price him out of Pittsburgh. Yes, the team would still have Woodley, but with his injury history, that may not be a real solution.
Last year, the team rolled the dice with Keenan Lewis and lost, and they cannot afford to do it again. If course, the could release Woodley and franchise Worilds, but that would be a desperate move. Something that bay not be out of the realm of possibility for a team that has missed the playoffs two years in a row.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Football, Jason La Canfora, Jason Worilds, Kevin Colbert, LaMarr Woodley, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Jason Worilds Likely to Start in Place of Jarvis Jones Against the Baltimore Ravens
- Pittsburgh Steelers List Terence Garvin Out, Jason Worilds and Emmanuel Sanders Questionable for Week 17
- Pittsburgh Steelers Could Have Emmanuel Sanders, Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds on the Field Sunday
- Has Linebacker LaMarr Woodley Played His Last Game for the Pittsburgh Steelers?
- Pittsburgh Steelers Place Outside Linebacker LaMarr Woodley on Injured Reserve
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18n2