With everyone caught up dissecting the different prospects at the NFL Combine, it is easy to miss some of the non-player related news that leaks out. One such nugget may be the salary cap, as John Clayton of ESPN reports that it could inch toward $132 million.Pittsburgh Steelers may have some more money to spend this offseason. While many would view that as conjecture, team president Art Rooney II mentioned that possibility Saturday while meeting with the media. Of course, nothing will be clear until the league officially announces the cap level.
This could be a huge positive for the Steelers, who are in a position to add a lot of talent to both sides of the ball and have limited draft resources to use. With so many needs and so many picks, adding a free agent at a critical position such as nose tackle or even cornerback could give them the ability to address needs with the best player available mentality in the draft.
At this point, there is no need to plan on the Steelers being a huge player in free agency; they never are. In fact, they have not signed a starter since Ryan Clark in 2006. Ironically, it could be Clarks’ replacement that the team signs, as the veteran safety has likely played his last game with the Steelers in 2013.
Last week, they did host former Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas, a player if healthy would seem to be out of their price range. Although, a large increase in cap space would likely give them a chance to at least make a small dent in their depth issues in free agency. With the start of the NFL free agency period two weeks away, some moves should start falling into place.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Depth Likely to Be the Biggest Offensive Issue Facing the Pittsburgh Steelers Heading into Free Agency
- Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week
- Pittsburgh Steelers Potential Free Agent Nose Tackle Targets
- Could Jeremy Maclin Be a Free Agent Target for the Pittsburgh Steelers?
- Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Free Agent Priorities?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18kj