It would be hard to imagine the Pittsburgh Steelers signing an available free agent at any point this week. However, that did not stop them from hosting one of the best on the open market.Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas. The 26-year old Delmas was released by the Lions last week is a salary cap move, saving the Lions $6 million.
Them Steelers appear to be in the market for a safety, as Ryan Clark is an unrestricted free agent and is unlikely to return, and veteran Troy Polamalu may need to take a pay cut to stay. When healthy, Delmas, a former second round selection, has the ability to play both safety positions.
Health and salary, in that order, may be the key to signing Delmas. The five-year veteran has missed 13 games in 2011 and 2012 battling multiple knee injuries. At this point, no deal was announced and both the Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings have shown interest in the veteran safety. Not to mention, the $10 million salary cap situation the Steelers have yet to address.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Detroit Lions, Football, Louis Delmas, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark
- Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Free Agent Priorities?
- Could Jeremy Maclin Be a Free Agent Target for the Pittsburgh Steelers?
- Pittsburgh Steelers Potential Free Agent Nose Tackle Targets
- Pittsburgh Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu and Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Receive NFL Honors
- Could Notre Dame Nose Tackle Louis Nix III Be the Anchor the Pittsburgh Steelers are Searching For?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18cz