As the league calendar hits a lull, with two weeks until the NFL Combine, things for these most part have been quiet at the Pittsburgh Steelers facilities. That all changed on Tuesday, as the team made another addition to their coaching staff.Joey Porter adds a defensive assistant. In the process, they may be bringing an attitude and edge they have not had in some.
A four-time Pro Bowler and Steelers standout, Porter returns after ending his 13-year career with the Arizona Cardinals. In all, he recorded 98 sacks (60 with the Steelers) from the outside linebacker position with three teams. In a statement, head coach Mike Tomlin said,
“We are excited about having Joey back with the Steelers family.Joey spent a number of years with Pittsburgh as a player, and now he's back to assist the coaching staff. We look forward to his efforts and contributions."
For Porter, who spent 2013 as an undergraduate assistant at Colorado State, this will be his stint as a coach in the NFL. With the Steelers having some young outside linebackers his presence may pay dividends in 2014 and beyond.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Football, Joey Porter, Mike Tomlin, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Buffalo Bills to Interview Pittsburgh Steelers Assistant Jerry Olsavsky for Linebacker Coach Position
- Pittsburgh Steelers Could Be Without Three Defensive Starters for Their Sunday Battle
- The Carolina Panthers Loss Could Help the Pittsburgh Steelers Find an Offensive Line Coach
- Pittsburgh Steelers Hire James Saxon as New Running Backs Coach
- Pittsburgh Steelers to Retain Keith Butler as Linebacker’s Coach
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1861