As we enter the pre-combine portion of the draft process, it is always hard to focus in on specific team targets. As Steelers 101 has mentioned in past articles, this year seems to be extremely difficult to pin down what the Pittsburgh Steelers will do. However, that is not the case for ESPN, as both of their draft gurus have the Steelers landing Notre 'dame nose tackle Louis Nix III in the first round.nose tackle, also has some explosiveness off the snap that allows him to collapse the pocket in the passing game.
The key for the Steelers would be his short area quickness, strength, and ability to be the anchor of the defensive line that clearly missed Casey Hampton in 2013. On top of that, Nix shows enough athleticism, to possibly stay on the field in some passing situations, an area where the Steelers were torched on the ground last season.
On the downside, Nix will have to be medically checked at the combine, as he suffered through some nagging injuries at South Bend, and also underwent a minor knee surgery. While these injuries do not appear to hurt his stock, for a player of his size and skill, they could have some type of impact. If he checks out medically, Nix could be a steal at number 15, as he has the rare ability to be a run stuffer in both even and odd fronts. However, if he checks out medically and shows explosiveness in workouts, he may not be available at number 15.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Casey Hampton, Football, Louis Nix, NFL, Nose Tackle, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Pittsburgh Steelers Potential Free Agent Nose Tackle Targets
- ESPN Draft Guru Mel Kiper Has the Pittsburgh Steelers Selecting a Nose Tackle in Round One
- Pittsburgh Steelers Offense Still Searching for an Identity
- Pittsburgh Steelers Complete Trade for Offensive Tackle Levi Brown
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17vz