While many fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers believe that the teams only true needs exist on defense, they would be wrong. Yes, the Steelers need help on that side of the ball, but they also cannot afford to be singularly focused. With a aging defense, the team may be forced to outscore some teams, and to do that they need more talent on offenseKelvin Benjamin, a big receiver that could compliment Antonio Brown. Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans is another player who fits that profile, and he too could grade out in the mid-first round range.
Like Benjamin, Evans was a two-year starter and an incredible playmaker for the Aggies. At 6-5, 225-pounds, he boasts the size and speed to translate to the NFL. More importantly, he has a combination of body control and hands that's could make him special.
A three-down receiver, he is somewhat raw as a route runner and lacks elite speed. However, he does show quick first step and tremendous fluidity with the ability to gain separation on a regular basis. He is a match-up nightmare. The Steelers may also be a fan of his blocking ability in the run game, as he shows the skill-set to be a perfect weapon when not involved in the passing game.
Evans is clearly one of the top receivers in this class, and has the potential to get better. A young player, turning 21 well after the draft, he has the ability to step in and make an impact. With that young age, if he grades well at the combine, he may not be around at number 15.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Antonio Brown, Football, Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Evans, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Target Kelvin Benjamin Early in the NFL Draft?
- Could Mike Tomlin Be a Serious Candidate for Head Coach at the University of Texas, If the Job were to Open?
- Are Players Battling for One or Two Wide Receiver Spots on the Final Pittsburgh Steelers Roster?
- Pittsburgh Steelers Place Plaxico Burress on Injured Reserve; Sign Undrafted Rookie Wide Receiver
- Wide Receiver Antonio Brown Named to All-AFC Team
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17tg