As many Pittsburgh Steelers fans watch the first half of them Super Bowl, thoughts of what is holding their beloved Steelers back should be obvious. What was once an intimidating defense, is now but mediocre and until they get it fixed, 8-8 will be the norm.Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning may have a miracle left in his right arm, but then Seattle Seahawks defense has been the story, staking the team to a 22-0 halftime lead. In the process, they have made Manning look like a rookie and have kept the Broncos out of sync all game.
The Steelers used to be the Seahawks with an intimidating and physical defense that attacked the opposition. Now that defense has not photo lost a step, but has become predictable in their blitz calls and their alignments. What was once feared is now at times a laughing stock.
With another off-season of salary cap misery ahead, the team will be forced to make some hard decisions on their roster. While many will be concerned about the Jason Worilds situation, the biggest need will be reloading the unit with speed and physicality, something they did a gold job with during the 2013 draft landing what appear to be future starters in Jarvis Jones and Shamarko Thomas.
Unfortunately, those two may not be enough moving forward, as age is creeping in. If they cannot add to the depth quickly, fans will be suffering through many more Super Bowls in future years without the Steelers being even close to contenders.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Denver Broncos, Football, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks, Super Bowl
- Antonio Brown and Troy Polamalu to Represent the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013 Pro Bowl; Lawrence Timmons and Ben Roethlisberger Snubbed
- Will Senior Bowl Add Clarity to the Offensive Line Coach Search
- Pittsburgh Steelers Defense Must Wake up and Regain Their Swagger
- The Pittsburgh Steelers Defense Must Regain Their Physicality Over the Bye Week
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17no