Much of the off-season coaching discussions in Pittsburgh have centered around the openings and new hires on the offensive side of the ball. While both openings were a bit of a surprise to some extent considering the steady improvement of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense in 2013, it is also surprising that the defensive staff remains completely intact.Keith Butler was again mentioned in connection to an open defensive coordinator position, this one with the Tennessee Titans. While the Steelers were able to keep Butler in the food, the same may be the case for former linebacker and current defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky, who is set to interview with the Buffalo Bills for their open linebacker coach position.
For Olsavsky, who has spent the past four seasons as a general assistant with the Steelers, this would be his first shot at being a full-time NFL position coach. The 46-year old does have college experience as a linebacker coach, spending his first seven years in the profession as the linebackers coach for Youngstown State before moving onto the Steelers staff.
The Bills, who hired former Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator after Mike Pettine left to become the Cleveland Browns head coach, must round out their staff. With Schwartz, they are expected to deploy an attacking style defense, something Olsavsky is very familiar with after playing the majority of his 10-year NFL career with the Steelers.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Buffalo Bills, Football, Jerry Olsavsky, Keith Butler, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Baltimore Ravens to Interview Running Backs Coach Kirby Wilson for Offensive Coordinator Position
- Pittsburgh Steelers Interview Mike Munchak for Their Offensive Line Coach Vacancy
- Pittsburgh Steelers Pull Out a 23-10 Victory Over the Buffalo Bills
- Pittsburgh Steelers to Retain Keith Butler as Linebacker’s Coach
- Miami Dolphins Request Permission to Interview Pittsburgh Steelers Omar Khan for Their General Manager Position
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17i4