It seems almost a right of passage every offseason, the Pittsburgh Steelers are up against the salary cap, and Director of Football and Business Administration Omar Khan is courted by perspective employers as a potential General Manager candidate. Unfortunately, he has not been able to reach the NFL front office pinnacle.Miami Dolphins for their open position. While, there is no denying that Khan is an integral part of the of the Steelers football operations and deserves a chance to run a NFL franchise, his return to the franchise is a tremendous boost to the franchise.
To this point, the Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, New York Jets and now the Dolphins have passed over this talented front office guru. The reasoning for being passed over for these positions is not known, but it may be his overall lack of reported talent evaluations.
If that is the case, these franchises are missing out. Not only is Khan one of the best capologists in the business, he is a shrewd but fair negotiator that gets the job done when he has to.Today, when scouting and talent evaluation is on display 365 days a year, the general manager focuses his energy on building a team using the information and input provided to him.
Of course, it may not the lack of personnel experience that is holding him back, it could be his age (37). Many owners view general managers as older, more seasoned members of the front office fraternity. However, that should not be the case, as he has been with the Steelers 12-years, being hired at the age of 24 after working with Tulane and the New Orleans Saints.
One thing is certain, the Pittsburgh Steelers again dodged a bullet and are lucky to have Khan back in the fold to help them wade through the maze of salary cap issues they face this offseason .
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Football, Miami Dolphins, NFL, Omar Khan, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Miami Dolphins Request Permission to Interview Pittsburgh Steelers Omar Khan for Their General Manager Position
- Pittsburgh Steelers to Retain Keith Butler as Linebacker’s Coach
- Pittsburgh Steelers Must Decide on Blocking Philosophy Before Hiring New Offensive Line Coach
- The Pittsburgh Steelers Must Start Playing for 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/172e