Every season, teams reach out to the Pittsburgh Steelers for permission to speak with linebacker’s coach Keith Butler about their opening for a defensive coordinator. 2014 started off the same way, fortunately for the Steelers, it ended the same way as well.Dick LeBeau, Butler has been a constant interviewee across the league for teams in search of a coordinator. This year, the Tennessee Titans and new head coach Ken Whisenhunt reached out to the organization and Butler. Yet, once again, it appears that Butler will again return to help develop the teams young linebackers, while he waits for LeBeau to step aside.
This is the third time Whisenhunt has tried to lore Butler away from the Steelers, interviewing him twice while he was the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Ironically, as was they case in Arizona, former Steelers' assistant Ray Horton may end up the coordinator.
If this is in fact the case, the Steelers will be able to keep their defensive staff in place heading into what is likely an important period of player development. 2013 did see major contributions from young defenders and 2014 will likely show much of the same, especially at linebacker where the team will certainly be looking for depth one they work out the Jason Worilds / LaMarr Woodley situation.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Dick Lebeau, Football, Keith Butler, Ken Whisenhunt, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ray Horton, Tennessee Titans
- Pittsburgh Steelers Interview Mike Munchak for Their Offensive Line Coach Vacancy
- Pittsburgh Steelers Must Continue Search for Offensive Line Depth, Newly Acquired Tackle Rashad Butler Leaves Team
- Pittsburgh Steelers Must Decide on Blocking Philosophy Before Hiring New Offensive Line Coach
- The Carolina Panthers Loss Could Help the Pittsburgh Steelers Find an Offensive Line Coach
- NFL Fines Head Coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 for Sideline Incident
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16wd