The Pittsburgh Steelers are never a team that treads deeply into free agency and with their salary cap situation 2014 should not see a change. However, if there was ever a time to make a splash this would be the year.Steve McLendon to move outside where his pass rush skills and run stuffing ability could give the unit a boost. Looking at potential free agents, there are some interesting names that could fill that role.
Miami Dolphins nose tackle Paul Soliai, Baltimore Ravens nose tackle Terrence Cody and New York Giants defensive tackle Linval Joseph could all step in and make the unit better and potentially more flexible. A signing like this could also help ease any pain felt if the Steelers take a hit in free agency, or allow them to be selective as they negotiate with Al Woods, Brett Keisel, or Ziggy Hood.
Off the three, Soliai will likely be the most difficult to sign as the Dolphins have a ton of cap space and had a solid defensive front. However, with some other free agents along their defensive front, his run stuffing abilities may take a back seat to the pass rush abilities of Randy Starks.
Yes, the Steelers pass rush was not great in 2013, but their run defense was worse. Finding an experienced nose tackle in free agency would help rebuild the defense and open up their early draft choices for a big wide receiver or cornerback.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Al Woods, Brett Keisel, Football, Linval Joseph, NFL, Paul Soliai, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Randy Starks, Steve McLendon, Terrence Cody, Ziggy Hood
- Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Free Agent Priorities?
- Pittsburgh Steelers Must Continue Search for Offensive Line Depth, Newly Acquired Tackle Rashad Butler Leaves Team
- Pittsburgh Steelers Complete Trade for Offensive Tackle Levi Brown
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16f5