The Pittsburgh Steelers have started their offseason evaluations with the surprise firing of offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. Tasked with mentoring the Steelers young offensive line, Bicknell lasted less than one year at the position.NFL franchise since 2009. He had previous stints with the Kansas City Chiefs (2012) and the New York Giants (2009-2011). The 50-year old coach has an extensive college resume, including head coaching experience at Louisiana Tech (1996-2006).
The decision to part ways after only one season is somewhat of a surprise. Although the offensive line was not a thing of beauty in 2013, they continually improved throughout the season, and appeared to be trending upward by the end of the season. Yes, it can be debated that the unit opened the season opened 2013 in dire straights, even before losing center Maurkice Pouncey in the opener and lacked any type of continuity. In many ways, their poor performance early cost the Steelers a playoff birth.
The Steelers also announced two roster moves on Friday, adding a punter and a long-snapper to the team. The team agreed to terms with punter Brad Wing and long-snapper Bryce Davis on Reserve / Futures contracts.
Wing (6-3, 205-pounds) is a talented punter although he went undrafted out of LSU after leaving school early. A 2013 undrafted rookie free agent, he originally signed with the Philadelphia Eagles after the draft. He is a former Ray Guy Award Semifinalist (2011) and was voted a first-team All-American.
Davis (6-3, 245-pounds) was also an undrafted rookie free agent out of Central Oklahoma. Signed by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2012, he spent parts of that season on their practice squad. He was released by the Bengals in final roster cuts of 2013, and spent 2013 out of the league.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Brad Wing, Bryce Davis, Football, futures contracts, Jack Bicknell Jr, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Seven to Reserve / Futures Contracts
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad; Sign Veteran Offensive Lineman
- Pittsbugh Steelers Sign Offensive Lineman David Snow
- Pittsburgh Steelers Must Continue Search for Offensive Line Depth, Newly Acquired Tackle Rashad Butler Leaves Team
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16bw