While many players and coaches were finishing up some loose ends prior to the New Years holiday, there was some news that came from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. The biggest news was the revelation that the team will start from day one this offseason streamlining their no-huddle attack.Ben Roethlisberger mentioned that fact, as well as offensive coordinator Todd Haley's support for the move. If this is a true statement, the Steelers should be poised to start 2014 where they left off. Yes, they may need to find a replacement at wide receiver, where both Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery are unrestricted free agents, but will likely add a piece in the draft as well as bring back Cotchery.
They also made some roster moves on Tuesday, inking the members of their practice squad to reserve / futures contracts. According to the CBA, all teams have one week after their season concludes to retain those players before the become unrestricted free agents available on the open market.
Those players were linebacker Kion Wilson, wide receivers Justin Brown and Kashif Moore, running back Alvester Alexander, guards Chris Hubbard and Bryant Browning and safety Ross Ventrone. Of those, Wilson has the most experience, shuttling between the active roster and practice squad throughout 2013, starting two games early in the season after Larry Foote ruptured his bicep. In all, he saw action in seven games recording 12 tackles.
The Steelers just made some new acquisitions – isn't it time you looked into picking up some new Pittsburgh Steelers memorabilia at MJR Sports Integrity?
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Alvester Alexander, Ben Roethlisberger, Bryant Browning, Chris Hubbard, Emmanuel Sanders, Football, futures contracts, Jerricho Cotchery, Justin Brown, Kashif Moore, Kion Wilson, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ross Ventrone
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad; Sign Veteran Offensive Lineman
- Pittsburgh Steelers Place Tight End Matt Spaeth on Injured Reserve-Designated; Promote Linebacker Terence Garvin
- Pittsburgh Steelers Activate Tight End Matt Spaeth from Injured Reserve
- Pittsburgh Steelers Place Levi Brown and David Johnson on Injured Reserve
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1648