The Pittsburgh Steelers are preparing for their match-up against the Green Bay Packers. While they do have an extremely slim chance at making the playoffs, it remains an unlikely scenario. Soon, the reality of a second consecutive disappointing season will hit home and they will be facing some huge off-season decisions.Jason Worilds. With LaMarr Woodley constantly hurt and underachieving, they cannot afford to let Worilds hit the open market. After that, decisions will have to be made on aging veterans Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu and Brett Keisel.
One player that will likely not get immediate attention from the franchise is wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. Yes, Sanders is talented and has had a solid campaign in 2013, but he will likely price himself out of the Steelers available price range early in the free agent process. On top of that, he sits below Worilds on the priority list.
With Sanders a huge question mark and Jerricho Cotchery headed into unrestricted free agency, the Steelers must utilize these next two games to get rookie wide receiver Markus Wheaton more snaps. Wheaton, a third-round selection, started moving up the depth chart early in 2013 until being sidelined by an injury against the Minnesota Vikings.
He has seen some snaps on offense since returning from injury, but most of his snaps have come on special teams. To this point in 2013, he has not made much of an impact, with only six receptions for 64-yards. The Steelers should attempt to target him at least that many times in the next two weeks to help start the evaluation process for 2014.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Tags: Brett Keisel, Emmanuel Sanders, Football, Jason Worilds, Jerricho Cotchery, LaMarr Woodley, Markus Wheaton, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu
- Wide Receiver Markus Wheaton Undergoes Surgery, Status in Doubt for Week 6
- Markus Wheaton and Curtis Brown Set to Join David DeCastro on the Sideline
- Mike Adams and Markus Wheaton Headline the Inactive List for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Markus Wheaton and Richard Gordon Out; LaMarr Woodley and Marcus Gilbert Probable for Pittsburgh Steelers
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15r9