Overlooked in the news that the Pittsburgh Steelers started their journey to London to face the Minnesota Vikings was the story that a couple of Steelers will give up some of their money. This week, the NFL fined two Steelers for plays in their Week 3 battle against the Chicago Bears.Jonathan Dwyer and wider receiver Antonio Brown received word they will be fined for their actions on three separate plays, two penalized during the game, while the other was not flagged. For Brown, his two unnecessary roughness infractions were penalized during the action (facemask penalties on a punt return and on a tackle) and he plans to appeal the $15,750 in fines.
Dwyer’s infraction was not penalized, but it falls inside a point of emphasis for player-safety in 2013, using the crown of his helmet while carrying the ball outside the tackles. This rule change has been a lightning rod of criticism since approved by the owners early in the off-season. According to the new rule, players are not allowed to the crown of their helmet to strike a blow against defensive players.
Unfortunately, the 15-yard penalty is rarely called as there is a lot of snap judgment issues because officials cannot directly determine whether the offense or defense initiated the contact in many occasions. In fact, going into last week, the penalty reportedly only called on one play to this point of the 2013 regular season. Dwyer was fined $21,000 for his hard running and desire to finish the play.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Inactive List for Their Week 3 Tilt Against the Chicago Bears
- Pittsburgh Steelers Vs Chicago Bears to Close Sunday Action
- Pittsburgh Steelers List Cornerback Cortez Allen Out; Tight End Heath Miller Probable for Their Week 3 Tilt Against the Chicago Bears
- Jonathan Dwyer Headlines List of Cuts as the Pittsburgh Steelers Reduce Their Roster
- Re-Signing Jonathan Dwyer was a Perfect Move for Both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Player
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11oo