Lost in the injury news of the week has been the addition of center Fernando Velasco. The unrestricted free agent and former Tennessee Titans pivot, could prove to be the biggest acquisition of 2013.Pittsburgh and done a remarkable job digesting the playbook. So much so, it is being reported by multiple sites that he will start at center for the Steelers when they take the field against the Cincinnati Bengals.
According to some grading systems, the 6-4, 312 pound center, actually earned similar grades in comparison to Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey in 2012. At this point, the Steelers would be happy with a center that understands the ins-and-outs of the position with some NFL experience. In Week 1 when Pouncey went down with his ton ACL / MCL, the team turned to versatile back-up Kelvin Beachum, who saw his fist regular season action at center.
Beachum may be the most versatile lineman on the roster, but the second-year pro out of SMU has primarily been a tackle and only started working at center this off-season. With Velasco coming in and picking up the offense, Beachum can again be the swing lineman and double as an extra tight end in certain running situations, something the Steelers game planned into Week 1, but were unable to use because of Pouncey’s injury.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Kelvin Beachum and Kion Wilson are Likely to Start for the Pittsbugh Steelers in Week 2
- Pittsburgh Steelers Center Maurkice Pouncey Issues Statement Concerning Recent Social Media Photographs
- Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Set If Heath Miller is not Ready to Start the Season?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10ry