Pouncey suffered a significant knee injury when he tore his ACL and MCL on the Steelers first drive. For the young offensive line, the loss of their 6-4, 304-pound anchor could be devastating. In his absence, second year offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum stepped in and was solid, but there was a noticeable drop off from Pouncey.
After Pouncey left the game, the Steelers offense appeared to be discordant the rest of the game, struggling to protect Roethlisberger, who was sacked five times and open up holes for the non-existent running game. Of course, the running game was hampered by two fumbles by Redman and a left-knee injury to LaRod Stephens-Howling in the third quarter.
With Pouncey out, Beachum or recently acquired Cody Wallace will likely get the start. It would also not be a surprise to see the Steelers re-sign guard / center John Malecki, whom they released to make space for Wallace.
For the 33-year Foote, the injury news was just as bad, as the 12-year veteran suffered a ruptured biceps muscle. Like Pouncey, Foote is the anchor of a young linebacking corps, a group that will become even younger on the inside with him out of action. If he cannot go, either three-year veteran Kion Wilson, or rookies Vince Williams or Terence Garvin will get the call next to Lawrence Timmons on the inside.
If Foote is indeed out for the season, as head coach Mike Tomlin hinted to, the Steelers will likely make another roster move, possibly re-signing Marshall McFadden from the Oakland Raiders practice squad, Brian Rolle or even looking at former Steelers linebacker Stevenson Sylvester.
Cornerback Cortez Allen also injured his ankle in the fourth quarter of action. While the seriousness of his injury is not known, it does not appear to be as serious as the injuries suffered by Foote or Pouncey.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Look to Open 2013 Campaign with a Victory Against the Tennessee Titans
- Pittsburgh Steelers Inactive List for Their Week 1 Tilt Against the Tennessee Titans
- Pittsburgh Steelers Vs Tennessee Titans to Kick-Off Week 1
- Pittsburgh Steelers Le’Veon Bell and Heath Miller Out for Week 1 Match up Against the Tennessee Titans
- Pittsburgh Steelers Lose Tight End Matt Spaeth for 8-to-10 Weeks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10f9