The Pittsburgh Steelers returned to the practice field on Wednesday, starting preparations for their Monday Night match-up against the Washington Redskins. One player that was happy to back in the fold was second-round selection Le’Veon Bell, who is preparing for his first action after being held of the preseason opener due to knee discomfort.Jonathan Dwyer and Baron Batch, his position changed. He is now listed as the number one back, sharing the position with Isaac Redman, who started the preseason opener.
Of course, neither Dwyer nor Batch had a chance to run behind a solid offensive line. In fact, after watching the tape, that unit may not even be considered an adequate line. Complicating matters is the undisclosed knee injury suffered by Justin Cheadle during practice on Monday. While no player from the reserve offensive line was over-powering on Saturday, Cheadle was one of the more consistent performers.
One of the most disappointing aspects of the second (and third) offensive lines was the performances of the back-up veteran tackles that the Steelers signed this offseason, Guy Whimper and D'Anthony Batiste. Yes, neither of those veterans were expected to start this season, they were at least expected to be serviceable and at this point, even that is in doubt.
The Steelers still have a lot of questions that must be answered during camp, but none more important that what players will step up and join Kelvin Beachum as a solid back-up. If the does not happen, it will not matter who the running back is, if an injury happens to a starting lineman, the season will be over.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.
- Pittsburgh Steelers Release First Depth Chart as They Prepare for the New York Giants
- Rookies Nick Williams and Terry Hawthorne Return to Practice at Pittsburgh Steelers’ Training Camp
- Pittsburgh Steelers Complete Rain-Filled First Open Practice
- Pittsburgh Steelers Have a Physical First Training Camp Practice in Pads
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/z2e