Over the past few weeks, our focus at Steelers 101 has been focused on the NFL Draft. With the Pittsburgh Steelers facing another offseason of salary cap cuts, and almost no money for their own free agents, it is hard to get excited about anything else. Of course, the Steelers are not the only NFL franchise to be in that situation and this is a time where some interesting names unexpectedly hit the free agent market.Steve Breaston (Kansas City Chiefs) and even Charles Woodson (Green Bay Packers) were released or informed that they will be released due to salary situations. While many will head elsewhere and sign new deals, one of those cuts, Steve Breaston, may be an option with the Steelers if they can find some money under the salary cap.
This could be the case for multiple reasons, as Breaston is a Pittsburgh native and possibly more importantly, he is a favorite of offensive coordinator Todd Haley following him from the Arizona Cardinals to the Kansas City Chiefs much like tight end Leonard Pope in 2011. In fact, he had the best parts of his career under Haley averaging 60-catches as a slot receiver from 2008-2011.
Looking at the roster, it is no secret that the Steelers will be in the market for a wide receiver if Mike Wallace leaves as expected. Breaston could theoretically step in and challenge for the number three role behind Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. More importantly, he could help fill the void as a return specialist after the release of Chris Rainey early in the offseason.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Receiver Antonio Brown Ruled Out Against the Kansas City Chiefs
- Pittsburgh Steelers Look to Continue Their Winning Ways Monday Night Against the Kansas City Chiefs
- Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs Head to Halftime Tied at 10
- Pittsburgh Steelers Make Antonio Brown, Troy Polamalu Inactive Against the Kansas City Chiefs
- Pittsburgh Steelers Lose Ben Roethlisberger, but Defeat the Kansas City Chiefs in Overtime
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qap