Now that the Senior Bowl is complete, it is time for Steelers_101 to start diving into NFL Draft mode. As we did last offseason, we plan to profile all visitors to the Pittsburgh Steelers complex, as well as focus on players that the team may be interested in. We also plan on expanding our draft coverage by adding mock drafts, as well as profiles on top players at each position.
However, there really is no clear-cut direction for the team to go early in the draft. They could seriously go with the best available athlete that fits their systems at any position and it would be a perfect selection. One such player would be Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.
Yes, this selection would raise some eyebrows, but it would also make sense. Steelers Pro Bowl tight end Heath Miller is recovering from a major knee injury and may struggle early in the season and the have little depth behind him. 2012 seventh round selection looks promising, but is he the answer if Miller cannot go? That is a huge question entering this offseason.
Eifert is rated as the top tight end by many draft services and at 6-5, 250-pounds, has the size to be an asset to any offense. Known more as a receiver in college (140 receptions for 1,840 yards and 11 touchdowns), he is an improving in-line blocker. More importantly, he is skilled at multiple positions inside, in the backfield, split out wide as a receiver, and could combine with a healthy Miller to be a strong Red Zone target.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Continue to Build Their Offensive Line Early in the NFL Draft?
- With the 17th Selection in the NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select…
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pa3