It seems almost a right of passage every offseason, the Pittsburgh Steelers are up against the salary cap, and Director of Football and Business Administration Omar Khan is courted by perspective employers as a potential General Manager candidate. Unfortunately, he has not been able to reach the NFL front pinnacle.football operations and deserves a chance to run a NFL franchise, his return to the franchise is a tremendous boost to an already dismal offseason. To this point, the Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams and now the New York Jets have passed over this talented front office guru.
Why has he been passed over for these positions is not known, and it may be his overall lack of reported talent evaluation and if that is the case, these franchises are missing out. Not only is Khan one of the best capologists in the business, he is a shrewd but fair negotiator that gets the job done when he has to.
Today, when scouting and talent evaluation is on display 365 days a year, Khan would excel because he is a smart man and would surround himself with the people that would make a successful franchise. Is that a definite, no, but anyone that has worked this closely with the Rooney family and General Manager Kevin Colbert has to have some understanding of building a champion the right way?
If it is not the lack of personnel experience that is holding him back, it could be his age (36). Many owners view general managers as older, more seasoned members of the front office fraternity. However, that should not be the case, as he has been with the Steelers 11-years, being hired at the age of 24 after working with Tulane and the New Orleans Saints.
One thing is certain, the Pittsburgh Steelers again dodged a bullet and are lucky to have Khan back in the fold to help them wade through the maze of salary cap issues they face this offseason.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Number One Offseason Priority Should Be Cornerback Keenan Lewis
- Kevin Colbert Sees a Different Roster for the 2013 Season
- Breaking Down the Pittsburgh Steelers Six Restricted Free Agents
- Pittsburgh Steelers to Select Number 17 in the 2013 NFL Draft
- Why is It All Quiet on the Search for the New Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Line Coach?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/p57