The Pittsburgh Steelers have received some bad news in recent weeks and are definitely a team that could use a change in that department. Wednesday, the team may have finally got some as rookie first round selection guard David DeCastro returned to the practice field.
Wednesday, also marked the first time in 2012 that the Steelers saw quarterback Charlie Batch take snaps as the starter, as he prepares in the absence of Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. The veteran has a 5-2 record as a starter for the Steelers and will be called upon to be not only an above-the-line starter, but also a healthy one as the team takes on the Cleveland Browns. With newly signed back-up Brian Hoyer just in the fold, it will be virtually impossible for him to be up to speed with the playbook in less than a week. Yet, as a career back up, he has the demeanor to pick up at least enough to be serviceable if called upon.
Unlike Hoyer, who will not see the field unless there is an injury, newly signed wide receiver Plaxico Burress will see some action against the Browns, especially in the Red Zone, where his size will give the team a second option besides tight end Heath Miller. In his first practice with the team, he look comfortable and in very good shape, and should be able to cause match-up problems for defenses.
In other injury news, there was a mixed bag, as quarterbacks Roethlisberger (Should/Ribs) and Leftwich (Ribs/Shoulder), wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (Ribs), safety Troy Polamalu (Calf), offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (Foot) and defensive end Ziggy Hood (Back) did not practice. Of those, there was hope that Hood would be available for Sundays divisional match-up. Wide receiver Antonio Brown (Ankle) did return to practice, along with DeCastro in a limited basis.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- With Antonio Brown Likely Out, the Pittsburgh Steelers Add a Wide Receiver to the Practice Squad
- Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Plaxico Burress; Announce Charlie Batch as Starter Against Cleveland Browns
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/n39