The Pittsburgh Pirates pitching staff just got thinner Wednesday, as Francisco Liriano joined Gerrit Cole on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain he suffered in the 4th inning of Tuesday night's contest against the Chicago Cubs.
Right-hander Stolmy Pimentel has been recalled from his rehab assignment and activated from the 15-day disabled list. It remains to be seen whether he will be inserted into the rotation, but in all likelihood the Bucs pitching staff will consist of Pimentel, Jeff Locke, Charlie Morton, Edinson Volquez and Brandon Cumpton for the time being.
The injury was evident after Liriano's 55th pitch of the night, as he walked back to the mound in obvious pain. He was able to toss a few warmup pitches, but the decision was made to remove him from the game.
After undergoing an MRI Wednesday, Liriano's injury was confirmed. After Tuesday's game, Liriano said he tweaked something on his final pitch and added he was still feeling sore in his left side when he spoke with reporters and that this was the first time he has had an injury like this in his career.
Expected to be the Pirates ace after a stellar 2013 campaign, Liriano has struggled through much of 2014 with inconsistency. He is 1-6 with a 4.60 ERA in 14 starts.Tags: Baseball, Francisco Liriano, MLB, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Pittsburgh Pirates’ Francisco Liriano Leaves Start Vs. St. Louis Cardinals Suffering Flu-Like Symptoms and Dizziness
- Gerrit Cole Placed on 15-day Disabled List with Shoulder Fatigue
- Pittsburgh Pirates’ Closer Jason Grilli Placed on 15-day DL with Oblique Strain
- Jeff Locke Activated from Disabled List, Optioned to Indianapolis
- Jeff Locke to Start Monday for Pittsburgh Pirates Against San Francisco Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bxx