Cole, who is enjoying a successful sophomore campaign, as he is 6-3 with a 3.64 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP, first told the team of his shoulder pain as he was playing catch Wednesday, one day after he beat the San Diego Padres.
Pirates General Manager Neal Huntington said the team weighed the option of Cole missing just one start, but decided a move to the disabled list would be more beneficial in the long run.
"It was a group decision, made in the best interest of the team," Cole said. "We'll deal with it, rather than prolong it and hope for the best. It's been gradually onsetting, and I just didn't bounce back the way I anticipated after the last start."
Huntington added Cole will be activated when is 15 days on the DL are up June 19, so long as everything goes to plan.
Jeff Locke was called up from Triple-A Indianapolis to start Sunday and take Cole's rotation spot for now. He pitched a great game against the Milwaukee Brewers, but was out-dueled by Yovani Gallardo as the Crew took a 1-0 victory in the rubber match of the three game set. Charlie Morton had his start pushed back to Monday to face the Chicago Cubs.
"It's frustrating, but hopefully we can nip this in the bud," Cole said. "We've come up with some rehab work, and I feel much better than I did a few days ago. I hadn't experienced anything similar to this in the past. I just couldn't bounce back."
Information from Pirates.com
- Jeff Locke Activated from Disabled List, Optioned to Indianapolis
- Comparing Pittsburgh Pirates’ Gerrit Cole and St. Louis Cardinals’ Shelby Miller
- Pittsburgh Pirates Designate Wandy Rodriguez for Assignment
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Wandy Rodriguez on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes from Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Stolmy Pimentel on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes and Vin Mazzaro
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bum