For the second time this young season, the Pittsburgh Pirates designated right-handed reliever Vin Mazzaro for assignment Monday so that Brandon Cumpton could make the Memorial Day start against the New York Mets.
Mazzaro was previously DFA at the end of Spring Training. He cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis rather than become a free agent in early April.
Mazzaro has pitched well for the Pirates over the past year, and was a big part of the team's 2013 bullpen. He posted a 2.81 ERA, 2.19 K/BB rate and a 5.6 K/9 in 73 2/3 innings pitched last season. Mazzaro had a 3.48 ERA in 10 1/3 innings for Pittsburgh this season, in addition to 10 2/3 scoreless innings for Indianapolis. In his first year of arbitration eligibility this past Winter, Mazzaro and the Pirates avoided a hearing by agreeing to a one-year, $950K deal for the 2014 season.
Two other Pirates, Wandy Rodriguez and Phil Irwin, are currently DFA as well.
After six innings against the Mets where he allowed just one earned run, Cumpton saw his 2014 ERA drop to 3.38 in three starts for the Pirates
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Stolmy Pimentel on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes and Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates Designate Wandy Rodriguez for Assignment
- Some Trade Options Involving Pittsburgh Pirates’ Jose Tabata, Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates Actively Shopping Jose Tabata, Could Look to Move Travis Snider, Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates Claim Brent Morel Off Waiver Wire, Designate Chase D’Arnaud
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1beb