Pittsburgh recalled third baseman Brent Morel from Triple-A Indianapolis Friday to fill the spot on the active roster that was opened when the Pirates sent right-hander Phil Irwin back to Indianapolis Thursday.
Morel has hit .215 with six doubles, a home run and 11 RBI in 25 games with the Indians this season after the Bucs claimed him off of waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays in February.
Morel played in 194 with the Chicago White Sox between 2010-13, batting .229 with 13 homers and 54 RBI while playing second and third base.
The third baseman's most productive season came during the 2011 campaign, when he played in 126 games and had 444 plate appearances, hitting 10 home runs and driving in 41 while posting a .653 OPS.
With Travis Snider now having to serve his suspension this weekend, Morel will provide an added bat off the bench against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Irwin, who replaced Monday's starter Jeff Locke on the active roster, did not appear in a game with the Pirates after being promoted from Triple-A on Tuesday.
- Pittsburgh Pirates Claim Brent Morel Off Waiver Wire, Designate Chase D’Arnaud
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Wandy Rodriguez on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes from Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates Option Top Prospect Gregory Polanco to Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Stolmy Pimentel on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes and Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates Recall Casey Sadler, Demote Jared Hughes
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aun