Wandy Rodriguez, who would have been eligible to come off the disabled list Monday, was passed over for Locke. The Bucs want Rodriguez to make one more Minor League rehab start before he returns, and because the team has two off-days over the next week, the Pirates will not need a fifth starter until May 13. Rodriguez will make a rehab start on Tuesday for either Double-A Altoona or Indianapolis.
"The week's theme seems to be overcoming challenges," manager Clint Hurdle said, referring, among other things, to the Bucs' consecutive comeback wins over Toronto, "and he's certainly had his share since the second half of last season. This is a great opportunity for him to embrace what he has and to keep focused on where he wants to go, and how to get there."
Locke pitched phenomenally in the first half, putting together an ERA of just over 2.00. However, his ERA ballooned in the second half, and he was penciled into the Triple-A rotation early in Spring Training
Current Giants batters are just 2-for-10 against Locke, with Brandon Belt and Gregor Blanco as the only two who have recorded a hit off the lefty.
- Jeff Locke Activated from Disabled List, Optioned to Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates’ Francisco Liriano Leaves Start Vs. St. Louis Cardinals Suffering Flu-Like Symptoms and Dizziness
- Pittsburgh Pirates Reassign Six, Including Jameson Taillon, to Minor League Camp Monday
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Stolmy Pimentel on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes and Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates’ Pitching Prospect Jameson Taillon Unlikely to Be Ready for Season’s Start
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aop