The Pittsburgh Pirates shuffled their bullpen before Saturday night's game against Toronto, but the starter for Monday's game against San Francisco remains a mystery.
Jared Hughes and Vin Mazzaro were called up from Triple-A Indianapolis as Brandon Cumpton was sent back down and Stolmy Pimentel was placed on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.
Hughes, now called up for the third time in the past two weeks, has yet to allow a run in two appearances. Mazzaro has his contract purchased and he was placed on the 40-man roster, where the Pirates had one open spot. Mazzaro was designated for assignment at the end of Spring Training, but the Pirates were unable to work out a trade with another team within the ten-day period. He then accepted the assignment to Indianapolis.
Mazzaro pitched well for Indianapolis in six appearances, going 1-0 with the saves allowing no runs in 10 2/3 innings. Hughes went 1-0 with four saves allowing no runs in six Triple-A appearances.
Cumpton had pitched well in his start Thursday against Baltimore, although the Pirates would later blow the game and lost in extra innings. His rotation spot will be filled by either Jeff Locke or Wandy Rodriguez, who is eligible to come off the DL Monday.
Pimentel was used sparingly in the first weeks of the season, and his average fastball velocity had dropped four miles per hour from last year.
Information from Pirates.com
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Wandy Rodriguez on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes from Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates Recall Casey Sadler, Demote Jared Hughes
- Pittsburgh Pirates Actively Shopping Jose Tabata, Could Look to Move Travis Snider, Vin Mazzaro
- Some Trade Options Involving Pittsburgh Pirates’ Jose Tabata, Vin Mazzaro
- Pittsburgh Pirates’ Closer Jason Grilli Placed on 15-day DL with Oblique Strain
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1anu