Jason Grilli was named a National League All-Star in 2013, a season where he had just two blown saves. After blowing three of his first seven chances, bumping his ERA to 4.50, the Pittsburgh Pirates have placed him on the 15-day disabled list Friday with an oblique strain.
The team has recalled Jared Hughes from Triple-A Indianapolis to fill Grilli's spot in the bullpen. Hughes was originally called up when Wandy Rodriguez hit the DL, only to be sent back down Wednesday so that Brandon Cumpton could join the rotation.
Although Grilli's stuff appears to have the same bite and speed, he has consistently left pitches over the plate. Hitters like Ryan Braun only need one mistake to hit a homer.
Mark Melancon will most likely take over the closer role, and could hang on to it if he performs well. Tony Watson and Justin Wilson should slide into the eighth inning role.
- What to Make of Jason Grilli’s Poor Start
- Pittsburgh Pirates Place Wandy Rodriguez on 15-day DL, Recall Jared Hughes from Indianapolis
- Pittsburgh Pirates Send Andrew Lambo, Ten Others to Minors
- Pittsburgh Pirates Make Numerous Moves Thursday
- A Look Ahead at the Pittsburgh Pirates Week
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ah2