A Ben Zobrist single scored Ryan Hanigan and Brandon Guyer before Yunel Escobar singled home Zobrist and David DeJesus. The Pirates would score one in the eighth as Omir Santos singled home Tony Sanchez.
In his first start of the spring, Gomez allowed eight hits and four runs in 2.1 innings of work. In the third, he allowed five hits while recording one out before Zack Thornton relieved him and struck out Wilson Betemit and Wil Myers. Thornton combined with Bryan Morris, Phil Irwin and Duke Welker to shut out the Rays for the rest of the game.
Matt Moore got the start for the Rays and dominated the Pirates in his 3.1 innings of work, although he struggled with command. He walked three and allowed two hits in his start.
"I think it's pretty hard to have a negative [outing] after last time," said Moore. "It was definitely a step forward today."
The Bucs will return to action Friday as they host the Philadelphia Phillies at McKechnie Field for a 1:05 game. Brandon Cumpton will get his first start of the spring, and both Andrew Lambo and Chris McGuiness, two players battling for the left-handed first baseman's job, will be in the lineup.
- Pittsburgh Pirates Ride Hot Bat of Travis Snider, Beat Toronto Blue Jays to Continue Roll
- Pittsburgh Pirates Drop Two Against Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox
- Pittsburgh Pirates Ride Three-run Third Inning to Victory Over Detroit Tigers
- Pittsburgh Pirates Reassign Six, Including Jameson Taillon, to Minor League Camp Monday
- Pittsburgh Pirates to Sign Pitcher Yao-Hsun Yang
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1976