There’s no secret that the trade deadline didn’t bring a lot of excitement to the Philadelphia Phillies or the Washington Nationals. The Nationals, at least, made a trade to try to stop the bleeding from losing third baseman Ryan Zimmerman. So far, it doesn’t seem to be working, as they have not hit a home run since Zimmerman went down nine games ago. The Phillies and A.J. Burnett (6-10) will look to continue that streak. The Nationals hope that Jordan Zimmermann (6-5) will start a homer-less streak for the Phillies.
The Phillies might have looked pretty good over the past two games in Washington, scoring 10 runs in the series opener and putting on a pretty good pitching performance and holding the Nats to one run in the second game. As it turns out, they’re just taking advantage of a team without a leader. The Nationals are 34-19 when Ryan Zimmermann is in the lineup this year. They’re an abysmal 24-30 when he doesn’t play. Asdrubal Cabrera was brought in via trade to fill the void at third, and he might be the man for the job. He lined out in his first three at-bats for the team Friday night. His fourth at-bat was a little more exciting with two on and two out in the bottom of the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon, but Cabrera struck out swinging to end the game.
I’m sure there’s no Phillies fan in the world that’s sick of hearing the word “rumor” associated with the club…but here it goes, anyway. Burnett could still be auditioning for potential suitors. It’s been rumored that he will clear waivers and be traded before the August 31st waiver deadline.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Preview: Philadelphia Phillies Look for Third Straight Win Over Milwaukee Brewers
- Grady Sizemore Makes Debut, Jimmy Rollins Homers Twice, Philadlephia Phillies Win Fifth Straight
- Gameday: Philadelphia Phillies Dominated by Edinson Volquez and Pittsburgh Pirates in Second Straight Loss
- Series Preview: Philadelphia Phillies Host Atlanta Braves; Carlos Ruiz to the Concussion Disable List
- Philadelphia Phillies Drop Second Straight to Milwaukee Brewers 9-4
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e2x