The Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants combined for 29 hits, 26 of which were singles, Monday night. The Giants won the game and spoiled Cliff Lee’s return from the disabled list. The Phillies managed 14 of the hits, all singles, and went 4-15 with runners in scoring position. The Giants added 15 hits, 12 singles, and three walks, and went 4-10 with runners in scoring position.
Grady Sizemore contributed one hit from the leadoff position. Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Marlon Byrd, and Cameron Rupp all added two hits. Cody Asche added the final three hits of the night. Former Phil Hunter Pence had three hits for the Giants, one of them a triple, from the leadoff position. Both teams combined to throw 300 pitches.
Neither starting pitcher performed well. Ryan Vogelsong only pitched three innings, giving up 11 hits and three runs with three strikeouts. Cliff Lee only lasted 5.2 innings, allowing 12 hits, six runs, a walk and three strikeouts. The Giants bullpen was able to pull out the win, though as Jeff Manship gave up a run in the eighth inning on the Hunter Pence triple. The Phillies were unable to manage a run after Vogelsong left the game.
The second game of the four game series will be at 7:05pm ET Tuesday night. Yusmeiro Petit will take the mound for the Giants against Roberto Hernandez of the Phillies.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Gameday: Philadelphia Phillies Swept by Pittsburgh Pirates; Eleven Total Hits Over Three Games
- Philadelphia Phillies Squander Cliff Lee Complete Game, Blanked by Atlanta Braves 1-0
- Gameday: Philadelphia Phillies Muster Two Hits, Lose to Pittsburgh Pirates 8-2
- Philadelphia Phillies Lose the First Game of the Second Half to Atlanta Braves
- Philadelphia Phillies Swept by Milwaukee Brewers in First Home Series
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dn4