The Philadelphia Phillies have announced that infielder Reid Brignac and catcher Carlos Ruiz will begin rehab assignments with Class-A Clearwater Threshers this week.
Brignac was placed on the disabled list on June 20th with a high ankle sprain. Before heading to the DL, Brignac hit .258/.329/.409 with five doubles, one triple, one home run, 10 RBI, seven walks, 24 strikeouts and one stolen base in 66 at-bats. Brignac only played in 24 games. As the season progresses and the Phillies veterans look for a few more rest days, Brignac will likely spell shortstop Jimmy Rollins and third baseman Cody Asche.
Carlos Ruiz went to the disabled list on July 12th after being hit in the head during a plate appearance. He is scheduled to begin his rehab stint in Clearwater on Thursday and could return to the team as early as next week. In 66 games, Ruiz hit .257/.363/.357 with 15 doubles, one triple, two home runs, 14 RBIs, 31 walks, 35 strikeouts and three stolen bases in 230 at-bats. Ruiz will likely take his starting job back over immediately. The Phillies will be forced to send either Cameron Rupp or Koyie Hill back to the minor leagues when Ruiz is recalled. Catcher Wil Nieves is also doing a rehab stint at Clearwater. It is unclear if he will be called back up to replace Rupp or Hill after he’s deemed fit for duty.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, MLB, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Phillies
- Series Preview: Philadelphia Phillies Host Atlanta Braves; Carlos Ruiz to the Concussion Disable List
- Cliff Lee to Throw Rehab Start at Class a Clearwater; Transaction Wrap-Up
- Cliff Lee Gets No-Decision in Second Rehab Start, Will Pitch Again Monday
- MLB to Announce All-Star Game Selections Sunday Presented by Taco Bell
- Philadelphia Phillies Lose Game 1 to Atlanta Braves; a Look Ahead to Doubleheader Saturday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dgd