Foles' illegal hit was a "peel-back clip." A peel-back clip is a block where a player goes low towards the legs. In Foles' case, he went low and took Henderson out at the knees. The Eagles originally scored a touchdown on the play, a 15-yard touchdown by DeSean Jackson on a reverse. Because of the penalty called against Foles on the play, the touchdown was negated.
The NFL passed a new rule in the off-season that deemed the hit to be illegal. This came after Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing suffered a season-ending knee injury on October 8, 2012. The Texans were playing the New York Jets that day and Cushing was hit by Jets guard Matt Slauson. Cushing ended up suffering a torn ACL. You can see the video below to see what a peel-back block actually is.
- Nick Foles Leads Philadelphia Eagles to 49-20 Victory Over the Oakland Raiders, Has Best Game of Career
- Nick Foles Officially Ruled Out for Sunday’s Game, Michael Vick Preparing for Start
- Nick Foles Named NFC Player of the Week, Has Jersey Put in Hall of Fame
- Nick Foles Named FedEx Air Player of the Week
- Nick Foles Named FedEx Air Player of the Week for Second Time in Three Starts
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15sq