As if the women's gold medal game between Canada and the United States wasn't intense enough on Thursday, the men brought another level of intensity on Friday. In the second semifinal of the day, Canada and the United States squared off to see who would take on Sweden for the gold medal. The game started off fast-paced and that is how it would be played throughout. Both teams were flying around the ice and created strong scoring opportunities.
Canada got on the board first just under two minutes into the second period as Jamie Benn redirected a Jay Bouwmeester pass by U.S. goaltender Jonathan Quick. Canada would start to control the puck possession more by continuously moving it around in the U.S. zone, but couldn't add to their lead as Quick came up with one big save after another.
Trailing 1-0 late in the third period, the U.S. pulled Quick to add the extra attacker in efforts of trying to tie the game. However, they couldn't get much going on the offensive end as Canada held their own and wrapped up the 1-0 victory.
1:41 CAN GOAL: Jamie Benn (2) assisted by Jay Bouwmeester
Here are some notes from the game:
- Canada goaltender Carey Price stopped all 31 shots he faced as he shutout the red-hot United States team. The U.S. had scored 19 goals in four games during the Olympics.
- U.S. goaltender Jonathan Quick stopped 36 of the 37 shots he faced and was named the game's second star.
- Canada has only scored 13 goals in five games, but they have done a terrific job protecting their net, allowing just three goals.
- U.S. forward Phil Kessel who leads the tournament with five goals and eight points was shut down by the Canadian defense.
The U.S. will take on Finland in the bronze medal game on Saturday.
- Canada Holds on to Beat Latvia 2-1, Will Face the United States on Friday
- After 6-1 Win Over Sweden, US Womens Hockey Team Earns Spot in Gold Medal Game
- United States Men’s Hockey Clobbers Slovakia 7-1
- Canada Holds on to Beat Norway 3-1 in Men’s Hockey
- Will Canada’s Women’s Olympic Hockey Team Win Their Fourth Staight Gold Medal at Sochi?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18h9