Canada has found out its opponent for Wednesday's quarterfinal in men's hockey and to much surprise they will be taking on Latvia. Latvia upset Switzerland on Tuesday by winning 3-1. Latvia did not win a game in the preliminary round. This win marks the first time Latvia has won in Olympic competition since 2002.
Latvian goaltender Edgars Masalskis stopped 32 of the 33 shots he faced against Switzerland as he picked up the win. Forward Lauris Darzins scored twice, including an empty netter to seal the victory.
Carey Price will get the start in net for Canada. Price started Canada's first game of the Olympics against Norway in which he stopped 19 of 20 shots in a 3-1 victory. He then played Canada's third game against Finland where he stopped 14 of 15 shots to pick up the 2-1 overtime win.
Roberto Luongo was in net against Austria in Canada's second game. Luongo recorded a 23 save shutout as Canada went on to win 6-0. It seems as if the coaches already made the choice to start Price prior to the Olympics, but Luongo will be readily waiting to play.
- Canada Holds on to Beat Norway 3-1 in Men’s Hockey
- Jeff Carter Leads Canada to 6-0 Victory Over Austria in Men’s Hockey
- US Women’s Ice Hockey Downs Switzerland, 9-0
- Martin St. Louis to Replace Steven Stamkos on Team Canada
- Will Canada’s Women’s Olympic Hockey Team Win Their Fourth Staight Gold Medal at Sochi?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18dr