It's been an up and down battle with the New York Yankees offense this season. Despite spending in excess of over $250 million to bring in hitters like Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann and Jacoby Ellsbury, the team still has endured the struggles.
Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long knows of these struggles first hand, something he's tried working with the entire offense on during the 2014 season and something he told the media this past week has caused for some sleepless nights as a result.
“I can give them routines," Long said, according to the New York Time's Tyler Kepner. "I can help them with some flaws. We can work and work and work. And, yeah, when you don’t see results, it wears on you. There’s some sleepless nights. There’s some nights when you feel like you’re not doing everything you can. And at the end of the day, I know that I am.”
It was ironic that after Long made the comments, the Yankees offense scored five runs and picked up a 5-1 victory over the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night and McCann went 4-4 with a home run and three RBI; McCann's two-run homer set the tone for the Yankees offense against Boston starter Anthony Ranaudo.
Even with the win, it hasn't stopped fans all over for calling for Long's job as the team's hitting coach, who also mentioned that he's doing the best he can and continues to try and find the right ways to motivate and spark hitters.
“I try to come up with more ideas, try to be more proactive,” Long said, according to Kepner. “And sometimes it’s a matter of backing off the throttle. Do I not give them as much information? There’s all different things that spin through your head. Are you more forceful as a coach? Do you scream? Do you yell? Do you tell them, ‘Enough’s enough?'"
With 25 games remaining in the season and the Yankees playoff hopes being held by a thread, Long can only hope the offense can continue the trend of Wednesday night and keep it up.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Baseball, Kevin Long, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees Hitting Coach Kevin Long Reacts to Team’s Offensive Struggles
- Brian McCann’s Old Hitting Coach Says New York Yankees not Right for Him
- New York Yankees’ Hitting Coach: Brian McCann’s Struggles More Mental than Physical
- Kevin Long, New York Yankees Explain What Biggest Problem on Offense Is
- Hal Steinbrenner on New York Yankees Offense: ‘It’s Been a Problem and It Needs to Change’
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1f8n