Heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, the New York Yankees were three outs away from losing two out of three to the Boston Red Sox and falling that much further back in the American League playoff race.
With Boston closer Koji Uehara on the mound, it would seem like a foregone conclusion that the Red Sox would wrap the game up, but the Yankees offense showed major signs of life against the Japanese veteran.
Mark Teixeira lead off the inning with his 21st home run, a solo shot to right field that tied the game at 4-4 and suddenly, Yankee Stadium was re-energized with some life.
After Brian McCann lined out to left field, it was Chase Headley's turn to play the hero and he did just that, as he crushed a splitter from Uehara that went over the right field wall for the game-winning, walk-off home run and gave the Yankees a 5-4 victory in the ninth. The victory allowed the Yankees to take two out of three in the series against their nemesis.
The home run was Headley's 11th of the season along with his 44th RBI of the year too. With the Yankees; it was his fourth home runs since being acquired in mid-July.
The Yankees remain nine games back of the Baltimore Orioles in the American League East and four games back for the final A,L, Wild Card.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Chase Headley’s Walk-Off Hit in Debut for New York Yankees (Video)
- Brian McCann’s 10th Inning, 3-Run Walk Off HR Gives Yankees 7-4 Win Over White Sox (Video)
- Chase Headley to Make 1st Start for New York Yankees on Wednesday; Batting 6th Vs. Texas Rangers
- Chase Headley to Report for New York Yankees Vs. Texas Rangers; Available to Pinch-Hit If Needed
- MLB Trade Deadline: New York Yankees Trading for Chase Headley was Right Move to Make
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1f9t