On Friday afternoon, the New York Yankees have announced that they have designated Rich Hill for assignment. The team will have 10 days to either trade him, release him or outright him to the minor leagues.
Hill was designated in order to make room for newly acquired lefty reliever Josh Outman, who was acquired in a trade on Thursday night from the Cleveland Indians for cash considerations.
The 34-year-old journeyman left-hander appeared in just six games for the Yankees after being signed to a minor league deal and called up this past month. Hill went 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 2.1 innings with two strikeouts in those six appearances.
Outman, who is 29 years old, is seen as a much superior lefty relief option and the team likes how he uses his breaking pitches. Outman will give the team a legit major league pitching option ever since the Yankees allowed the Washington Nationals to claim Matt Thornton off waivers this past month.
In 31 games for the Indians, Outman is 4-0 with a 3.28 ERA and had 24 strikeouts in 24.2 innings. Now he'll look to help the Yankees make a potential postseason run for the final month of the season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- New York Yankees Acquire Lefty Reliever Josh Outman from Cleveland Indians
- New York Yankees Designate Brian Roberts for Assignment to Make Room for Stephen Drew
- New York Yankees Sign Rich Hill to Major League Contract; Takes Matt Thornton’s Roster Spot
- New York Yankees Sign LHP Rich Hill to Minor League Deal; Assigned to Triple-A
- New York Yankees Designate Alfonso Soriano for Assignment on Sunday; Ending 2nd Stint with Bombers
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1f2b