The New York Yankees have won five games in a row and they seem to be producing and getting a little healthier, kind of. Brett Gardner missed Sunday's game and will rest again on Tuesday, but Mark Teixeira will return to the Yankees lineup tonight, as the Yanks take on the Tigers in Detroit.
Teixeira has been dogged by the injury bug all season, and on Monday Yankee manager Joe Girardi decided to give his ailing slugger a rest. Teixiera had been hampered by a tight hamstring that flared during the weekend. Although the hamstring issue was considered to be minor, the Yankees played it safe and gave Teixeira the day off yesterday.
The Yankees have been going through a grueling schedule to close out August, which have seen them play 13 straight games. "This is a brutal stretch of games, and we've got some guy's banged up, so any opportunity to get some rest, we're going to try and take advantage of it," Teixeira said.
"Physically this has been a very difficult year for me," Teixeira added. "The only consolation I take is that when I am healthy and feeing good and can get a nice stretch of games, I'm still driving in runs and hitting home runs and that's what I'm here for."
Teixeira has been dealing with a series of injuries all season, that include his; back, wrist, lat, leg and finger. Although he's been battling injuries all season, Teixeira is optimistic on a return to full health next year. "Hopefully next year is going to be a lot healthier year," Teixeira said. " But this season with the injuries, every time you get on a roll, something pops up. We have another month to go, so hopefully it's a good month."
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Mark Teixeira Admits He Can’t Play Through Injuries; Returns to Yankees Lineup
- New York Yankees’ Mark Teixeira Gets Pinch-Hit Single in 8th Inning; Likely to Return Full-Time to Lineup on Tuesday
- Mark Teixeira Returns to New York Yankees Lineup; Will Play on Friday Vs. Minnesota Twins
- Mark Teixeira Returns to New York Yankees Lineup on Sunday Vs. Cleveland Indians; Will Bat 4th, Play First Base
- Mark Teixeira Returns to New York Yankees Lineup Vs. Oakland A’s on Tuesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1eyh