On Monday, Peter Gammons of MLB Network has reported that the New York Yankees were "claiming everyone" and heard that they might possibly make a move to put a claim in on New York Mets starter Bartolo Colon and Houston Astros starter Scott Feldman.
As it turns out, the Yankees did not claim either pitcher before the waiver time passed, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that both Colon and Feldman have cleared waivers.
Now this doesn't mean that the Yankees can't still pursue either player, but with them passing through and not claiming either guy, it likely might mean that the Yankees aren't as heavily interested as some might suspect. After all, both players were free agents this past winter and the Yankees didn't make a run at either.
However, with Masahiro Tanaka trying to come back from an elbow injury, the team could be trying to take every necessary precaution incase Tanaka has any setbacks with the elbow, as he is expected to return to the team in September after a two-month layoff.
Colon was a former Yankees pitcher in the 2011 season and rejuvenated his career by coming back to the majors after missing the entire 2010 season and went 8-10 with a 4.00 ERA. That season lead to Colon getting guaranteed deals with the Oakland A's and then a two-year, $20 million deal with the Mets.
Colon is still expected to be traded before August 31, but teams in need of pitching like the Los Angeles Angels and Los Angeles Dodgers may make a stronger offer to the Mets for Colon.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Bartolo Colon, Baseball, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, Scott Feldman
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Likely to Claim Phillies’ Cole Hamels If Placed on Waivers
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Aren’t Team to Claim Phillies’ Marlon Byrd Off Waivers
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies Place Cole Hamels, Marlon Byrd on Waivers; Will Yankees Make a Claim?
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees “Are Claiming Everyone” Off Trade Waivers
- MLB Trade Rumors: Chicago Cubs, not New York Yankees, Awarded Waiver Claim on Phillies’ Cole Hamels; Trade Doubtful
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1exw