After throwing a successful 35-pitch simulated game on Saturday, the Yankees have announced that Masahiro Tanaka will throw a second simulated game on Thursdat when the team is in Detroit for their series against the Tigers.
New York Yankees (@Yankees) August 24, 2014
Tanaka's return to the Yankees in September continues to look more likely with each passing day.
End of Update
Masahiro Tanaka faced live hitters on Saturday before the Yankees game against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium. Tanaka threw 35 pitches as he faced batters for the first time since injuring his elbow.
It was all good news for the Yankees rookie as he was able to throw all of his pitches, without any limitations. Tanaka faced Zelous Wheeler and Brendan Ryan as he threw 20 pitches without interruption. Tanaka took a five minute break and completed the outing with 15 additional pitches in front of Yankees manager Joe Girardi, pitching coach Larry Rothchild and a large group of media.
Tanaka reported no pain after the 35-pitch session and overall he was pleased with his performance on the mound. "I wasn't able to hit my spots as much as I wanted," Tanaka said. "I feel it's a little bit rusty. There were some good balls that I was able to throw. It was a good step, so I want to keep moving forward.
Pitching coach, Larry Rothchild watched Tanaka closely on Saturday and left feeling positive about his progress. "I thought it was a good progression as long as he's healthy," Rothchild said. "His stuff's in the right direction, being able to throw 35 pitches and do full warmups and everything. He's not that far from pitching in a game."
This was a big step in Tanaka's recovery as he remains in line for a return to the rotation in September. As he continues to build arm strength and stamina, the next step will be for Tanaka to begin a Minor League rehab assignment.
"He's going to have to make some rehab starts," Joe Girardi said. "I'm not sure exactly how we're going to be able to do it as we build him up because you're going to run out of Minor League season, but we'll be creative enough to do whatever we have to do to get him ready."
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Baseball, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees Masahiro Tanaka Continues Rehab; Throws in Outfield on Thursday
- New York Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka to Throw Off Mound on Saturday
- Michael Pineda Getting Closer to Return for New York Yankees; Will Throw Simulated Game on Saturday
- New York Yankees Masahiro Tanaka Could Miss 2014 All-Star Game: Report
- Masahiro Tanaka Continues Rehab; Plays Long Toss on Sunday and Feels Good
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ev5